COCONUT CARROT SOUP
2 tbsp coconut oil or extra virgin olive oil
1 large yellow onion, chopped
3 lbs carrots, peeled and cut into ½ inch pieces
2 tsp grated fresh ginger
½ tsp curry powder
½ tsp ground cumin
¼ tsp ground coriander
⅛ tsp ground cinnamon
Small pinch red pepper flakes (omit for arthritis)
1 tsp kosher salt
6 cups vegetable or chicken broth
1 can coconut milk
⅛ tsp honey (optional)
1. Warm the oil in a pot on medium high heat.
2. Add the onions and a pinch of salt and sauteé until golden, about 15 minutes.
3. Add the carrots, ginger, curry, cumin, coriander, cinnamon and pepper flakes and stir to combine.
4. De-glaze the pan with 1 cup of stock and let reduce by half. Add the remaining stock, salt and coconut milk and cook uncovered for 15 to 20 minutes until the carrots are tender.
5. Using a hand blender, puree the soup.
6. If necessary, add water to make the soup consistency that you like. It should be thick and lightly sweet. Add the maple syrup if you would like it sweeter. Check seasoning and add salt and pepper if desired.
7. Serve hot.