Whether you are following a special food plan, or just love dessert, you’ve got to try this Key Lime Pie recipe. It suits all kinds of diets — Paleo! Gluten-free! Dairy-free! Egg-free! And it’s chock full of gut healthy ingredients, including my magic ingredient: avocado!
If you’ve never used avocado in baking, it’s creamy, and picks up the flavors of your ingredients. And here’s the magic: It doesn’t taste like avocado. Not even a little bit. Once you try this Key Lime Pie recipe, it will become one of your go-to desserts.
The Best Key Lime Pie Ever
One of my all time favorites!
1 cup unsweetened, shredded coconut
1 cup raw walnuts
¼ teaspoon sea salt
6 medjool dates, pitted
1 ½ cups avocado (approximately 3)
2/3 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (~2 limes)
¾ cup raw honey
1/8 teaspoon sea salt
½ cup virgin coconut oil, melted
Zest of one lime
Fresh raspberries (optional)
1) To a food processor with an S blade, add coconut, walnuts and salt. Blend until finely ground.
2) Add dates and mix until mixture combines but do not over process.
3) Press mixture into the bottom of a 9-inch pie plate, set aside.
For the filling:
4) In a food processor, add avocado, lime juice, honey and salt and blend.
5) Add coconut oil and process until mixture is smooth.
6) Spoon mixture into pie plate evenly and refrigerate for 2 hours.
Garnish with fresh raspberries if desired and serve cold.
Keri Lynn MacElhinney, RD, CDN is a Functional Medicine Nutritionist at Blum Center for Health. She has over 20 years of professional experience as a Registered Dietitian and holds a nutrition license in New York and the State of Connecticut. In her early years, her field experience covered a wide array of areas including acute care hospitals, community health centers, substance abuse. Make an appointment with Keri Lynn at 914-652-7800.